Saturday, September 4, 2010

Barabbas

Guilty I stand,
Condemned and shamed
My sins before all
I am filthy and stained

The punishment I bare
Is final, deserved
My heart has grown numb
My mind is blurred

Regrets are few
Remorse is rare
In the shadow of death
I begin to care

My life has been selfish,
Empty and vain
I have heaped on my head
Rejection and pain

Through eyes now opened
Eternity in view
I am wretched, despicable
Accepting punishment due

A crowd before me
Filled with anger and hate
Yell, "Crucify him!"
They have sealed my fate

Yet not I, but a man
Quiet and meek
Beaten and mocked
And of innocence did not speak

A murderer's bonds,
The curse and disgrace
Fell onto the One
As He took my place

Nailed to the cross,
His precious blood did flow
My sin on his shoulders
Making His righteousness my own

I walked away free
Penalty paid
A great injustice
On that fateful day

No comments:

Post a Comment